MRSA Infection in Pets – Dr. LeeAnn DuMars, ABVP
Many people have heard of “MRSA” – in hospitalized patients, secondary to mild wound infections and even acquired from team sports….. but what exactly is it? And pets can get it, too?
MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; methicillin is a class of antibiotics that includes the penicillins, cephalosporins and other related drugs. Staphlococcus aureus is a bacteria, abbreviated “Staph” for short. It is a bacterial infection that can be mild and non-problematic in healthy animals and people, or could result in non-healing wounds, “flesh-eating” bacterial diseases and can be spread to high-risk individuals, such as diabetics, the elderly, immune-compromised individuals or children. In healthy people, MRSA can live in the nasal tissues and be a source of infection for susceptible individuals. It is thought that pets may initially get this infection from humans – otherwise known as a “reverse zoonotic disease.” Resistance to many of our common antibiotics results, leaving patients limited antibiotic choices to treat these infections.
Click here for an informational piece from one of our favorite educational websites… Worms & Germs to learn more about MRSA infections in humans and pets!